It should be mentioned, that at the meeting of the GUAM Working Group on combating organized crime, illegal trade of drugs and other serious crimes - organized on February 22, 2006 - Georgia undertook obligation to coordinate the efforts by law enforcement structures of the GUAM in the sphere of combating corruption. On the beginning stage, elaboration of strategy of combating corruption within the law enforcement system of the GUAM was considered.
With the purpose of realization of the action plan adopted by the GUAM Working Group and on the basis of the initiative of the GUAM National Center the Order N751 of June 12, 2006 by the Minister of Internal Affairs was issued. According to this Order the Working Group with following structure was established in the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia: the GUAM National Center, International Legal Division of the Administration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, General Inspection, Department of Constitutional Security and Border Police. According to the Order by the Minister of Internal Affairs the Working Group was obliged to elaborate anticorruption strategy, prepare the appropriate materials and organize the joint measures within the frames of the GUAM.
On July 6-7, 2006 the mentioned Working Group together with the experts of Euro-Atlantic Advisory Team organized the GUAM anticorruption conference on the theme: "Combat Corruption within Law Enforcement System". Conference workshop included the following issues:
- Legislation of the GUAM member countries in the sphere of combating corruption;
- Special agencies responsible combating corruption within the law enforcement system;
- European services of combating corruption within the law enforcement system.
With the purpose of sharing the information, statistic form1 of the crimes, recorded within the GUAM member countries in the sphere of corruption was drawn up and offered to the Conference participants by the Georgian party. This form was
elaborated with uttermost consideration of specifics in the national legislations of the member countries.
Analysis of quarter statistic forms supports the Georgian party better to realize and evaluate existing situation in the GUAM member countries with the view of corruption (dynamic of certain types of crime). This will be the important basis for objective decision towards each component of the anticorruption strategy.
For the following stage organization of the next anticorruption conference of the GUAM is planned. Issues of legislative harmonization will be discussed on the conference; also, following themes are going to be discussed:
- Issues of drawing up the procedural documents concerning corruption;
- Usage of special technical means (audio-video surveillance) in certain cases of corruption;
- National programs of protection witnesses, victims and other participants of the process.
Georgia as a country responsible for coordination in combating corruption within GUAM states, has some additional suggestions:
- To proceed forwarding the quarter statistic forms to Georgia regarding crimes in the field of corruption recorded in the GUAM states as well as the analysis of these forms;
- To discuss general trends and activities of GRECO within the GUAM states;
To share the experience regarding the accomplishment of recommendations offered by GRECO as all the GUAM states are the members of GRECO (recommendations implemented by each country and changes made in national legislation);
- To discuss the possibility and appropriateness to establish the mechanism of exchanging witnesses between the GUAM states.
On June 16, 2009 meeting of the working group in charge for combat corruption and money laundering was held in Kiev. Certain proposals against money laundering were developed for new projects of the GUAM-USA. The mentioned meeting approved a certain plan, which is planned to be implemented in 2009-2010 years. The working group took into consideration the proposals submitted by Ukrainian party; these proposals concerns problems of registration of legal entities of the GUAM member states within the territory of Ukraine and will be discussed at the next meeting.