Activities by the international terrorist organizations impose a serious threat to the transport and energetic infrastructure of the region, especially to the pipeline with the special strategic importance - "Baku-Tbilisi-Jayhan". Major factor to gain the successes in the sphere of combating terrorism is an intensive cooperation between the GUAM member countries with purpose of sharing information on concrete threat imposing by the international terrorist organizations; revealing the financing sources of terrorists and to perfect of interstate exchange of such information. In the sphere of fighting such type of crime necessity of consolidation of the efforts by the law enforcement agencies of the GUAM member countries is emphasized; this means usage of modern technologies, among those - abilities of the GUAM National Law Enforcement Centers.
With the purpose of realization of the plan for combating terrorism, organized crime, illegal trade of drugs and other serious crimes, adopted by the GUAM Working Group the Ministry of National Security of Azerbaijan, together with the experts of Euro-Atlantic Advisory Team organized the first meeting of the GUAM Working Subgroup on September 15-16, 2006, Baku. The mentioned meeting attached the issues of combating terrorism. Representatives of the law enforcement agencies and special services from Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova attended the meeting. The meeting was attended by the representatives of the Embassy of the USA in Azerbaijan and the Euro-Atlantic Advisory Team as well.
Delegates of the GUAM member countries submitted the existing situation in the sphere of combating terrorism, among them - terrorist threats in each member country and examples of certain counteractions.
The representatives of the law enforcement agencies of the GUAM emphasized the similarity of the tasks in combating terrorism, being revealed during the analysis of the threat. Necessity to increase the efficiency of cooperation in combating terrorism, organized crimes, illegal trade of drugs and other serious crimes was also emphasized.
Permanent sharing of information on international terrorist organizations, religious-extremist and separatist organizations, illegal armed gangs, members of organized crime groups (illegal migration channels among them) and their supporters was considered.
On the meeting following suggestions were offered by the delegations:
- Necessity of sharing the experience of the SECI and Interpol for maintenance of changing the information concerning combating terrorism in the NATO member countries;
- Organizing the regional workshops for experts and for those members of the GUAM Working Subgroup, who are in charge for operative exchange of data in real time regime;
- Provide the expert-lawyers of the GUAM member countries with consultation for harmonization of their national legislations in the sphere of combating terrorism and organized crime;
- Organizing the meeting of Experts (IT, lawyers and experts of the GUAM National Centers) for the period of October-November, 2006. With the purpose the GUAM National Centers to be involved in the action plan for 2007, issues of sharing the information concerning terrorism (sharing agenda, formalized informational notification) are planned to be discussed at the meeting. Also, within the framework of Yalta Agreement of July 4, 2003 on Interstate Informational Analytical System results of the activities conducted by the National Centers will be summarized;
- Establishment of similar structural subunits of the "National Informational-Analytical Centers" in all GUAM member countries (according to the "Main Principle of Interstate Informational Analytical System", adopted in Yalta, July 4, 2003);
- On the basis of the materials, provided by the special services and law enforcement agencies of the GUAM member countries, to be prepared the information in the format of "Regional Overview of the Spheres of Combating Terrorism in the GUAM Member Countries" by the Azerbaijan party, being the coordinator of the GUAM Working Group in the sphere of combating terrorism.
On October 29, 2007 the second meeting was held of the GUAM working subgroup in charge for combat terrorism in Baku; the meeting was chaired By Mr. F.Pakhanov - Head of Azerbaijan GUAM national Center; the meering was attended by the member countries' delegations, also Mr. G.Nazarov - coordinator of political-legal issues of the GUAM secretariat, Ms. A.Leukhina - coordinator of the USA/GUAM frame program as well as representatives of Euro Atlantic consultation group.
Issues provided by the agenda were discussed at the meeting, in particular:
1. Delegations from Georgia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan and Moldova reviewed national legal mechanisms for combat terrorism and organized crime;
2. During discussion the issue of information protection in the GUAM communication network the parties agreed on the necessity of proceeding with application of this network and acceleration of agreement process over of general certified means for cryptographic protection of governmental information;
3. The meeting participants emphasized necessity of creation of information-analytical centers and target permanent interagency groups in the member countries and introduction of the mentioned issue to the session of the GUAM working group in charge for combat terrorism, organized crime and illegal circulation of drugs;
4. The participant agreed on the necessity of adoption of the working subgroup action plan, draft of which had to be sent to the member states by Moldova until November 12, 2007;
5. There were suggested the following proposals:
- Exchange of information on the persons engaged in extremism;
- Organization of training on negotiation by specialists with terrorists;
- Organization of scientific-practical conference on the issues of terrorism.
6. The participants supported the proposal to discuss the GUAM working subgroup coordinator country's candidacy for 2009-2010 in combat terrorism at the next meeting by the GUAM working group in charge for combat terrorism, organized crime and illegal circulation of drugs.
During the meeting video conference with the participants of training (October 29-31, 2007, Odessa) elaboration of interstate assistance mechanisms and reveal of illegal circulation of mass destruction weapons components was organized.
The meeting participants agreed to discuss the issues of date and place of the next meeting of the GUAM working subgroup in charge for combat terrorism at the GUAM working group.